EAGER is designed to introduce a destination management team to the core elements required for them to develop sustainable policies and practices by applying concurrently the EarthCheck Sustainable Destinations and GSTC Destinations Criteria to the specific destination. The Assessment process allows a destination to participate concurrently in the application of both Criteria to the destination, to understand the destination’s sustainability performance against two of the world’s leading standards, and to identify areas for improvement.
Preliminary results from the assessment will be presented by an EarthCheck Research Institute Fellow and a concise report outlining recommendations for overall sustainability improvement will also be provided. All assessments are guided by Professor David Simmons who is the Chair of the not-for-profit EarthCheck Research Institute. David is the founder of tourism studies at Lincoln University and previously held the position as Director of Research at the Australian Sustainable Tourism Co-operative Research Centre where he provided expert content design and editorial oversight of the sustainable tourism online research portal. David has worked on tourism planning issues in Cambodia (WWF), Mauritius (UNDP), Niue, Vanuatu (WTO/UNDP), Nepal (MFAT and WWF), India (WWF), Sarawak (E. Malaysia), and DPR (North) Korea (UN/WTO)
- The assessment process starts with up to 4 days of onsite engagement and liaison with stakeholders.
- Guided overview of the destination’s major areas of best practices, current sustainability achievements and risks.
- Guided overview of select documented plans and policies coverage of both the EarthCheck Sustainable Destinations Standard and GSTC Destination Criteria.
- Preliminary results presentation by an EarthCheck Research Institute Fellow.
- Concise Report outlining recommendations for overall sustainability improvement.
- Summaries of the Report, which can be easily communicated to stakeholders, decision makers, community members, and target markets.
- Marketing benefits, including media pieces distributed to EarthCheck’s global network.
- Build capacity among destination stakeholders and the principles of sustainable tourism and sustainable destination management.
- Learn the destination’s current sustainability status according to two of the world’s leading destination sustainability standards.
- Understand which policies and practices are currently working well, to improve efficient resource use and effective policy-making.
- Generate positive marketing storylines about the destination’s commitment to sustainability and its areas of good practice.
- Gain practical tools to compare sustainability performance across the major areas of destination sustainability: destination management, local economic benefit, community and cultural well-being, and environmental resource protection.
- Identify concrete actions necessary to comply with the EarthCheck Sustainable Destinations Program.
- Improve destination governance, policy making, stakeholder engagement, and performance in the areas of sustainability management, economic development, community and cultural well-being, and energy and environmental conservation.
- Prioritise urgent, important, and achievable next steps to address the destination’s sustainability risks.
- Develop a baseline for sustainability monitoring, to track progress over time, beginning with our expert analysis.
AUD$19,000 (All fees are exclusive of relevant government taxes and do not cover travel costs)